Master's Degree or Higher Pay
Advanced Degree Pay for Educators
***In order to be approved for advanced degree pay, you must have completed a course toward your degree prior to August 1, 2013 that is relevant to the subject area you will be teaching***
Eligibility for Master's or other advanced degree pay is reviewed and approved by the Licensure department in compliance with state regulations.
Per the North Carolina Public School Personnel Employee Salary and Benefits Manual, "Only the following teachers and instructional support personnel shall be paid on the "M" or Masters salary schedule, or receive a salary supplement for academic preparation at the six-year degree level or at the doctoral degree level:
- Certified school nurses and instructional support personnel in positions for which a master's degree is required for licensure.
- Teachers and instructional support personnel who were paid on that salary schedule or received that salary supplement prior to the 2014-2015 school year.
- Teachers and instructional support personnel who:
- Complete a degree at the master's, six-year, or doctoral degree level for which they completed at least one course prior to August 1, 2013, and
- Would have qualified for the salary supplement pursuant to State Board of Education policy TCP-A-006, as it was in effect on June 30, 2013.
Please note: Teachers who obtain their masters in administration but are currently assuming the role of a classroom teacher must also meet one of the above three (3) criteria in order to be paid on the master's, six-year, or doctoral degree level."
Contact your licensure case manager regarding eligibility for advanced degree pay or questions regarding your licensure rate.