Flyer Distribution Process
Materials from school-related groups and school-sponsored and curriculum-related materials may be distributed in a school according to procedures established by the school principal. Only the following non-school agencies and organizations are permitted to distribute or display non-school materials on CMS property:
- Local, state and federal government agencies and departments
- Tax-exempt nonprofit entities offering educational, recreational, cultural or character development activities or programs to school-aged children
- Commercial or tax-exempt entities that have partnerships with CMS
- Institutions of higher education
In 2010, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education adopted a policy to regulate the distribution and display of flyers in schools. You can view the policy and related requirements on the CMS Board Policies site, search for Policy Code KH.
As part of our efforts to enhance communication with our families and employees and to be more environmentally friendly, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools has updated the flyer distribution process to include digital flyer distribution. CMS works with a service provider called Peachjar to deliver digital flyers to our schools, families and staff.
Submission and Approval Periods
Requests for digital flyer distribution can be submitted for consideration at any time during the school year. Important: All flyer distribution requests require proof of tax-exempt nonprofit status. Tax-exempt nonprofit entities organized under the provisions of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) Section 501 (c)(3) are eligible to submit flyers for review.
- Go to peachjar.com
- Register as an Enrichment/Community Organization (account type)
- Upload your flyer, your IRS-issued 501 (c)(3) determination letter, or proof from the IRS that a letter has been issued. Documents such as Articles of Incorporation or letters confirming your Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Federal Tax Identification Number will not be accepted as proof of tax-exempt nonprofit status. Presenting these documents will result in the flyer being denied. Please understand that all flyers must include the following CMS disclaimer:
- The information in this flyer is neither endorsed by nor necessarily reflective of the views of the Board of Education, the District or any CMS school.
- CMS Communications Services is notified when flyers submitted via Peachjar are pending review. Flyers will be reviewed to ensure they meet the Board of Education policy requirements.
- Approved flyers will be distributed electronically to the desired school(s). In addition, they will be made available to parents and staff via email and on the website of the selected school(s).
Community organizations/enrichment providers pay a small service fee to use Peachjar. This fee is typically much less than the cost of printing and delivering paper flyers to schools.