Communities In Schools at Reid Park Academy is in need of the following volunteer positions for our student and family Fall programming:
1. Academic Coach/Tutors/Homework Helpers (30 requested): Will provide one-on-one or small group support from one hour to up to two hours after school for elementary and/or middle school children. Volunteers are asked to commit to at least once a week on an ongoing basis. There is a particular need for math tutors for middle school (pre-algebra, beginning algebra).
2. Mentors/Breakfast/Lunch Buddies (25 requested)- Will provide one-on-one support to individual students as a role model, motivator and personal advocate. Will strive to reach the goal of build self-esteem and confidence in the student and supplement the work of CMS and CIS program staff. Volunteers will be trained ahead of time by CIS Site Coordinator as to developmentally appropriate topics of discussion and receive continued support. Mentors/Meal Buddies are needed for all grades, but especially middle school. Volunteers are asked to commit to at least once a week on an ongoing basis.
3. Girls' Nutrition & Fitness Program Assistant (1-4 requested): Will assist female CIS Site Coordinator and/or School Nurse on Wednesdays after school during the months of September and October in setting up programming, passing out snacks/meals, lesson planning, photo-copying and monitoring students. If a volunteer has a special interest in healthy eating and nutrition, she may also serve as a guest speaker.
4. Manhood University/All Pro Dads Program Assistant (1-4 requested): Will assist male CIS Site Coordinator during programmed dates (TBD) in setting up programming, passing out snacks/meals, lesson planning, photo-copying and monitoring students. If a volunteer has a special interest in male-specific issues, he may also be considered for the role of a guest speaker or Career Coach.
5. Moms' Support Group Assistant (1-4 requested): Will assist female CIS Site Coordinator in monthly (3rd Thursday evening of each month) meetings in September, October, November and December. Will assist in confirming attendance by phone, establishing programming, passing out snacks/meals, lesson planning, photo-copying and collection of materials. If a volunteer has a special interest in positive female parenting issues, she may also be considered for the role of a guest speaker.
6. Event Specialist (1-4 requested): Will make phone calls to confirm attendance and arrangements for CIS-sponsored events periodically throughout the school year (examples may include contacting families regarding home visit appointments, college visits, Parent Support Groups, Student Groups, Open Houses, and family-focused social events). Times and dates TBD.
7. Student Support Group Assistant (1-4 requested): Will assist CIS Site Coordinator in biweekly student support group meetings during the school day (times and dates TBD) in regard to lesson planning, photocopying, setting up materials and snacks, cleaning up and engaging students. Volunteers who have a special interest in teaching, anger management, career development, and fitness/nutrition are especially encouraged to apply.
Any support from our wonderful volunteers is truly appreciated and our goal is to match volunteers to students and programs based on his/her individual and unique strengths.
All volunteers must be registered and cleared through the CMS online form. Further questions about these CIS-specific roles can be directed to: Ambrosia Wilson, firstname.lastname@example.org/ 980-343-5035.